June 17, 2008

Deja Vu and not in a good way

When we were preparing for Miss Bridget's arrival, one of the biggest meltdowns I had was in, yes in, Babies R Us in the middle of all the nursery furniture. We're talking full blown tears and snot nose. We could not find/agree on the perfect nursery furniture whatsoever. We finally comprimised and ended up going with black as we simply could not find a dark wood that we liked in a crib style we liked. Fast forward two years (almost exactly) later and I'm finding myself in the same spot, only this time I actually have the baby first and have thereby avoided the full blown hormonal meltdown of two years ago. Still, though, for the past four weeks, we've shopped at every baby furniture store in St. Louis, hitting both Babies R' Us's and even Baby Depot - I've poured, borderline obsessed, over online crib shopping and yet still - nada, nothing - that makes me happy for less than $700. Yes, amazingly, I can find a $988 crib that I could live with, but get down into $300 land and not so much.

Anyway, my intent is not to bore you all with our mundane nursery furniture problems, although I'd like to have this baby in his own room by the time he goes to college and at this rate, I'm not sure if that will happen... BUT, while obsessing over reviews of products, I found myself lol (see how cool I am that I stuck LOL in my post) at some of the things people write in their reviews. For your entertainment, I've compiled a few of my favorite crib product reviews... from real people who went back and reviewed their crib after they purchased it (ps - who does that? It's certainly nice and all, but on my personal priority scale, I must admit posting online reviews is not so high), but without further ado, here are my favs (NOTE: I did not edit them in any way, I wanted to show them in all their glory, spelling and all....):

  • When we picked up the crib, there were large boot prints all over the box, and I was concerned that the crib would be damaged. When we opened it, there was a chunk missing out of the top of the front rail. Otherwise, I'm happy with the purchase.
  • I'm glad I waited, the bed is beautiful...one of the legs was damaged pretty severely.

  • I highly resommend doing this with 2 people. Peices are somewhat heavy. I didnt like the way directions make heavy peices hang by nails support peice broken while it was hangin in buy screw while i was screwing in other peices and snapped. I was able to wood glue back hold in place and after my fiance and i were done and the changing table is beauitful!!
  • Keep in mind that this does not have drop sides, if you are a short or heavy person, you may have difficulty leaning and bending over the squared off railings.

  • We bought this for our daughter who is due next month. We haven't changed a baby on it yet, but have practiced on it and it looks like it's going to be great.

  • When we called Storkcraft to get new parts they were so friendly and accomodating. We ended up getting the wrong parts, though, because the originals were labeled wrong, so we told them the wrong part. We ended up putting it together like it was and no one can tell the messed up parts. The bed itself was very frustrating to put together, but we have had several pieces of furniture by several different companies that were difficult to assemble. I love this crib!
And, my personal favorite:
  • It was a little difficult to put together at first, but after reading the instructions, it was easy.


1 comment:

mcdelanty said...

those are hilarious quotes....that one i read 3 times and still have no idea what they were talking about.