January 23, 2007

Maybe the Moyer's are to Blame

I have a strange daughter...Tim says I made her this way and I guess that's possible, but more so, I prefer to think she just takes after me and that's where she gets this innate weirdness. This weirdness mostly manifests itself around sleeping times. Let's first examine the normal things she needs in order to soothe herself to sleep:

1) A pacifier
2) The Rainforest soothing sleeper (come to think of it, I could use that, too)
3) Her first pony (a gift from the Moyer's) and bear baby from the hospital (see bottom left of pic for bear)


Now, there is nothing strange about needing those things, what is strange is that the third item, the pony and the bear, needs to be placed exactly on either side of her head. They have to create a little barricade around her head like when you ride a roller coaster and you have those head support thingys. The bear is usually much closer, but she must have shoved it away when I took this picture.

She will actually turn her head into them when she is trying to fall asleep. Back and forth rotating between the two babies on either side trying to decide which she likes better. Books...rocking...we don't need any of those normal baby things - just stuffed animals jammed right up against her head... we are definitely poster parents for what NOT to do in your crib.

On most nights, I will stand there watching her as she goes to sleep. Her little baby head jostling back and forth between the two babies and watching the monkey on the rainforest soother rock on his vine... eyes getting heavier and heavier with each round trip...it is just so flipping adorable.

Well, the whole reason I thought of posting this (other than the fact that I just watched this sleep dance take place) is that, as I placed the pony on her head tonight and she reached up and immediately jammed it into her mouth, I thought about our friends, Erin and Jeremy. In fact, many times when I put her to sleep I think about them. You see, they are the ones that gave her the all-important sleep pony and, for some reason, she has latched onto it to the point where I panic a bit if I don't have the pony.

Well, tonight they are especially in my thoughts as they are about to enter the wonderful (and sometimes strange) world of parenthood. My thoughts have been with them non-stop since last night when they went in the hospital as a family of two and will leave as a family of three. It's such a crazy, magical, special and terrifying time when you are awaiting the arrival of your first little one. Any minute now I will hopefully get a call or TM that Miss Ava has entered the world and for some reason those calls are all the more special now that I understand...

I can't wait to hear about her full head of hair or how she looks like Jeremy - sorry Hutch, but baby girls always look like their daddies! We love you guys and are so excited for you to embark on all those strange (and completely awesome) things that little girls bring!

PALTSKKJ

No comments: