April 3, 2008

Throwback Thursday: 1989 Boy Band Edition *update*

I only wish I could run over to my parent's house right now and dig out a picture of my room as it stood from approximately 1988-1990 completely wallpapered with Donnie, Jordan and maybe a few group photos (but I was sooo not into Joey or Danny...bleech).

Over the course of about 4 years, I acquired practically every book, magazine, video or other item of propaganda pushed at "tweens" like myself (although we weren't called that back then) and whole heartedly wished Donnie Wahlberg would throw rocks at my window some random Tuesday night and beckon that I run away on tour with him. I'm pretty sure if I dug through my old boxes of crap treasured childhood memories I could find numerous pieces of paper where I practiced signing my name, "Erin Wahlberg" over and over just so that I was prepared.

So, in honor of Throwback Thursday, I thought we would throwback and play tribute to one of the original boy bands as they prepare to reunite. I trust you will all be watching tomorrow's Friday Concert series on the Today Show - I know I'll tune in to see 38 year old men singing "Hanging Tough" and "I'll be Loving you Forever". *Update* Apparently there is no concert today, we'll have to wait until May 16th for the actual concert...and I was so looking forward to having "Ooh...ooh..ooh..oooh...ooh... We're Hanging Tough" playing through my head all day.

ThenNow
Hey, Becky and Katie, you guys want to come over for a slumber party tomorrow night - we'll watch the New Kids video and rip out new pics from Tiger Beat? I get all the Donnie ones, Becky gets all the Danny ones and Katie gets Jordan or was it Joey? I think you were kind of a flip-flopper. And, yeah, I'm calling you both out - and especially you Beck, it's gotta kill you that you let your older, non-cooler cousin bully you into becoming a New Kids fan. Especially the way you tried to soooo hate them, but eventually the fever overcame you and your room was straight out of Erin's Teen Beat Decorating style, too.

Anyone else absolutely horrified that this is the 20th... yes, 20th anniversary of the release of the Hanging Tough album and are there any other closet NKOTB fans out there?

PS - Check out Doogie on the cover over there. So cute - and little did we know back then...

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I somehow never got on the NKOTB train. I tiger beated my room with Kirk Cameron, Johnny Depp and (yechy) Tom Cruise.

Kim said...

I was so disappointed that there was no concert yesterday.. although I forgot to set my tivo, so I am a little relieved! Sad but true.