January 20, 2009

This is America Happening (title stolen borrowed from CNN)

This is so cool sitting here watching the inauguration of a new president. I've said it before, but really no matter who you supported, this is still such an amazing moment, but personally because it is Obama, it is our first African American president and it's generational change the likes of which we haven't seen since Ronald Reagan (that last part was just what the guy on tv happened to be saying as I was typing) but, seriously, because of those things it really does feel so incredibly significant. To watch the current President hand over the reigns in such a peaceful, gracious way really just makes me feel proud to live in this country and to be an American. Sorry, I'm being pretty cheesy, but it really just feels pretty emotional watching this all happen live.

I kind of wish Bridget was a little older so I could talk to her about the real significance, but for a two year old, I really think she summed up best how I'm feeling this morning, "Yeah, President Bar-ACK OOOOOOOOOOObammmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Bridgey like him."

*Updated to add* I so would have written this paragraph, too, if I was president:

America, in the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Thanks for posting part of the speech.. just reading it made me weepier than seeing it live. who knew?